Social networks of faculty research relations at the University of Chicago and Columbia University (circa 1978).
The data consist of six networks: the physical sciences, biological sciences, and social sciences faculty networks in each university.
Data on eight research relations were collected, including relations of interpersonal awareness, discussion, and collaboration.
These data were collected by Noah E. Friedkin. Data hosting and download provided by the Mathematical Sociology Section data archive.
Published work using these data should additionally include a citation to at least one of the related publications given below.
- Friedkin, N.E. 1978. "University Social Structure and Social Networks Among Scientists." American Journal of Sociology 83: 1444-1465.
- Friedkin, N.E. 1980. "A Test of Structural Features of Granovetter's Strength of Weak Ties Theory." Social Networks 2: 411-422.
- Friedkin, N.E. 1982. "Information Flow Through Strong and Weak Ties in Intraorganizational Social Networks." Social Networks 3: 273-285.
- Friedkin, N.E. 1983. "Horizons of Observability and Limits of Informal Control in Organizations." Social Forces 62: 54-77.
- Friedkin, N.E. 1998. A Structural Theory of Social Influence. New York: Cambridge University Press.
NOTE: Data is in .ASC format and can be opened by most text editors.