Surface Patterns and Processes
James, Professor of Geography - AJames@sc.edu
The BGL is used for a combination of teaching
and research, while the BCL and ESAIL are devoted to research. The BCL is a
computer lab networked to departmental geospatial labs and the internet. The BGL
and ESAIL are equipped for biogeography, geomorphology, hydrology, and
sedimentation. They include equipment for tree-ring analysis, sedimentary
particle-size analysis, optical microscopy, water filtration for suspended
sediment, instrumentation development and calibration for environmental
monitoring, and other basic analyses. Field
equipment are also kept in the BGL and ESAIL.
- Virtual Home of the Possum Trot Gully
contacts and readings (under construction)Field Equipment
click on images to enlarge
Equipment and support
- Two Dell Optiplex GX620 computers with Intel Pentium
D 3.00 GHz processors, 240 GB Hard drives, and 2.00 GB RAM.
- Three Dell Pentium 4 computers (not shown in photo to right).
- Software on the local drives includes ArcGIS 9.3 (ESRI), ERDAS
- Full broadband local and internet connectivity.
- Full support from staff and students at the Center for GIS and Remote
Sensing which is upstairs one flight of stairs.
BioGeomorphology Research Lab
- Gravitometry: M220 Denver Instruments analytical
balance, two digital balances, portable digital scale s, and triple-beam balances.
- Large capacity fume hood; gravity oven, muffle furnace, hotplates,
magnetic stirrers, and heated water bath.
- Still for distilled water, centrifuge, three desiccators,
vacuum chamber, and vacuum desiccator (at right).
- Gas, water, refrigeration, microwave, PC, phone.
- Glassware: beakers, graduated cylinders, flasks, settling tubes, test
tubes, separatory flasks, ehrlemeyer flasks, side-arm flasks, etc.
- 1000 mL graduated cylinders, hydrometers, pipettes, etc.
sifter with stainless steel micro-sieves 63, 125, 250, 500 and 100 microns
for precision grain-size analysis of sands.
- Recent addition: Two ultra-fine 3" stainless steel sieves for the
sonic sifter: 20 and 25 microns.
- 8" brass
sieves from 43 microns to 32 mm.
- 8" stainless steel sieves - 38, 53, 63, and 75 microns
- Sonifier for
ultrasonic cleaning of microsieves.
- Soil grinder/mixer, RoTap seive-shaker, oscillating agitator.
- Munsell color charts.
Sediment Concentrations & Water
- Two ISCO 3700 automated samplers; programable, capacity of
- Buchner filters (10 cm & 2 cm diameter)
- Three 1-liter sediment cones.
pump; three-filter manifold.
Earth Surface and Atmosphere
Instrumentation Lab (ESAIL)
[The web page for this new
lab is under construction]
The ESAIL is devoted to research and includes
equipment and facilities for the development of instrumentation
The BGL and ESAIL are equipped for biogeography,
geomorphology, hydrology, and sedimentation. They include equipment for
tree-ring analysis, sedimentary particle-size analysis, optical microscopy,
water filtration for suspended sediment, instrumentation development and
calibration for environmental monitoring, and other basic analyses.
Field equipment are also kept in the BGL and
Want to see more?...
More photos and equipment descriptions...
U. S. Lab and Field Methods
Geological Survey - Techniques of
Water-Resources Investigations Reports
Return to Main Lab